Monday, October 27, 2014

A cranky turn out of pet peeves

Although I treasure a patient, intentional path in my life’s journey, I am reminded that sometimes I am an anomaly to that virtue.

Sometimes I fly by the seat of my pants when it comes to my mood.

Granted I made the choice to ingest far more caffeine than I usually do on this, the “Writing Eve.” In fact I hardly ever drink coffee after 7 a.m.

Three cups, maybe four, of heavily heaped “Black Silk” into the coffee maker at 5:30 p.m. have since become both my “glass of wine and whiskey” as the song “Honeybee” by Blake Shelton (now playing on Songza) spells out. 

Sure, I could blame my pet peeve mood on the java, but that would be stupid.

I woke up this way, so I’ll go so far as to say that I must need to let off some literary steam.

First of all; if you pass by me at a grocery store check out and get my attention by saying “Hi Beth, how are you?” and then walk away and out the door—big pet peeve. 
If I wasn’t already wearing my “insignificant cap,” I certainly was after that brief and disinterested question period.

I pet peeve people too quick to respond and less likely to listen (which leads me back to Pet Peeve #1) and those hell bent on sharing what they think is a similar situational story from their life instead of just keeping their ears open.

I pet peeve parents who use threats of abandonment to the vehicle in the grocery store parking lot for children who, if they don’t behave, will be set there to wait alone. I think that threat of punishment should be outlawed. I do realize that most parents never actually follow through with this archaic garbage. I still believe it is wrong to lead a child to believe it would happen.

I further pet peeve couples that are rude to each other in public. Shame on you for your disrespect. If you cannot manage to honor your partner in a public setting, it’s time to get to the heart of the matter before your next trip out together to buy something for the life you share.

I pet peeve simple things like October days too short to get my “to do” list finished or days too quick to the cold to find that certain wool sweater I tucked away last spring.

Most of all, I pet peeve the global giants of media for sending us disparaging messages of illness, disease, and warfare as the top stories in the gentle waking hour of the day.

But what do I know. I’m just an ordinary gal who woke up cranky and drank too much caffeine too late in the day.

Better luck next time.





No comments: