Monday, April 23, 2012

One more hurdle in the bag before take off

Monday, April 23, 2012


Leave it to me to make a mountain out of a molehill. I may be free of guilt trips and voyages to “regret-ville” but I certainly haven’t conquered my anxiety when it comes to stepping outside my comfort zone and away from my neck of the woods.

I had best find a way to rest my apprehension. My trip to Wales is but 14 days away and there’ll be no turning back once I’m in an aircraft 35,000 ft over the North Atlantic Ocean.

But like I said, leave it to me to make a mountain out of a molehill.

All I had to do was get in my car and drive to Thunder Bay this past weekend to visit my sister-in-law. I planned the trip about a month ago and yet, as the days to “take-off” crept closer I could be heard having conversations with myself about all the reasons why I couldn’t possibly go.

And it’s not like I haven’t done a Thunder Bay run and other trips by myself before this, but there have been none since Jon died and yet I didn’t expect the doing would be such a mountain to climb.

If I could compare this hump in my road map to anything I would liken it to being on a boat cruising out to the lake to fish.
I expect to coast along for a while with minimal effort when suddenly the boat motor quits and the trolling motor goes on strike. I coax the motors, talk to them, and reason with them and still I get nowhere. Eventually I have to paddle my big boat if I want to get where I’m going—never mind try to paddle AND fish at the same time.

That’s what my trip to Thunder Bay looked like late last week. My motor quit and my trolling motor folded its arms and gave me the flat stare of a 16-year old teenager who I just asked to take out the garbage.

I hotwired my trolling motor going over the Causeway and yes! got on the road but it kept failing and eventually I had to resort to paddling and paddling down the entire highway.

I hadn’t realized what a comfort zone this little town and my little world had been for the last three months—where everything was predictable and I always was safe at home.

But you know me. I took the wheel and made it from Point “A” to “B” thus deciding that I would use the trip as a trial run for my clueless green thumb world traveler-self who need a fast learning curve on how to pack for nine days in May.

I knew this for sure because I was hauling three-quarters of my clothes closet and 16 pairs of underwear for a day and half trip to the city.
Thankfully there was a hydraulic dolly in the barn that bore the mammoth bag out of the house and into the car’s trunk.

I’ve been reading travel blogs and travel wikis and travel advice columns for all the latest recommendations for what to pack. I challenge myself daily to pack less and less junk (save the giant Toblerone and must-have chocolate bars in case I get stranded on an island with Tom Hanks).

Yet in the trial to pare down the piles of underwear et al, I will not give up my compression stockings. Yes folks, compression stockings.
I may be aging gracefully above my chicken neck, but below the knees not so elegantly.

Thus, seated in an airplane for eight hours while my lower legs dangle helpless and motionless as the blood tries to jump past the faulty valves in my calves, means I have to wear therapeutic high density trouser socks made for travelers with varicose veins. (There I said it).

And if you think that’s a media shocker, you are very lucky you didn’t walk by my car on Saturday in the parking lot of the home health store in Thunder Bay while I was trying to put one of those compression socks on my foot.

Never in my life had I such an experience. I used to think tummy control pantyhose was a hard haul on to my body until I tried to stretch that black sock out far enough so it would fit over my toes.

Anyone who wondered what was happening inside my car that day would have thought I was being devoured against my will by a 12-inch black eel, as I writhed in the front seat.

By the time I got all five toe digits kidnapped in the compression sock and pulled and stretched the rest of it up my leg, a big fat blue bulging vessel had popped out between my eyes.

Please tell me I don’t have to buy something similar to compress my head before I travel.

Getting that evil sock off at night was like firing a boomerang from a slingshot in a small room—but that’s another story.

No comments: